In my last post I listed ten signs of caregiver stress. Today I’m listing ten ways to address this stress and be a healthier caregiver, taken from the Alzheimer’s Association Website – www.Alz.org.
Please visit this site for a PDF brochure that contains far more detailed information about each of the ten items below. It also has a wallet card with the symptoms of stress so you can do a daily stress checkup. The other side of the card has the Alzheimer’s Association phone number to call for reliable information and support. (1-800-272-3900)
Ten Ways to Be a Healthier Caregiver
1. Understand what’s going on as soon as possible.
2. Know what community resources are available to you.
3. Become an educated caregiver.
4. Get help.
5. Take care of yourself.
6. Manage your level of stress.
7. Accept changes as they occur.
8. Make legal and financial plans.
9. Give yourself credit, not guilt.
10. Visit your doctor regularly.